Vehicle Information Report
A Vehicle Information Report (VIR) provides information about a vehicle’s registration history in Alberta only. The report is produced using the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). A VIN is the unique serial number assigned to every vehicle by the manufacturer or the Insurance Bureau of Canada’s assigned VIN program. An accurate and complete VIN must be provided to complete a VIR request.
The information contained in the VIR includes:
- The date and time of the report
- Vehicle description – year, make, model, style, colour, fuel type, odometer reading if available
- Vehicle status – active, salvage, non-repairable, unsafe, rebuilt, etc.
- Vehicle registration – date vehicle first entered on system, license plate classification, registration history date and location (no personal information for any current or previous owner is shown, including license plate numbers)
- Lien information – provides the number of liens and other related instruments which are registered in the province of Alberta and associated with the serial number (detailed information, such as the secured party and the party to whom the money is owed, can be determined by purchasing a separate Personal Property lien search)
- The VIR ONLY shows information from the Alberta Motor Vehicle System. It does not include any information from other provinces or countries where the vehicle may have been registered.
- The VIR only shows information from the last 10 years of registration history.
Fee = $26.00 (incl GST)